The clients wanted to downsize from their large, two storey Edwardian property to a smaller new build in their garden but without demolishing their original home.
The Edwardian house sits on a one acre plot and was connected to a double garage outbuilding by a single storey link. It is one of a number of large Edwardian, detached properties constructed originally by Brunner Mond in around 1910 and is now situated within a Conservation Area.
Planning regulations define conservation areas as places containing special architectural or historic interest which are safeguarded from indiscriminate or ill-considered changes. this meant that the Conservation officer would assess any planning application in the context of its surroundings and general environment. We knew that a very high standard of design would be required which needed to make a positive contribution to the character of the area.
The solution was to replace the existing garage outbuildings with a sympathetically designed dwelling in the style of a Coach House. the challenge was to ensure the original Edwardian house remained the dominant dwelling on the site while giving the new house its own architectural merit.
The new 4 bed, 2300 sqft home presents its side gable to the road thus reducing its mass against the original dwelling, giving the impression that it is linked to the main house. Actually it is orientated in such a way that it sits independently and privately in its own 0.25 acre plot.