Starting from the ground up
What do you need to consider when choosing the location of your new home?
When you’re choosing the location to build your ideal home, there are a variety of factors to consider. Obviously budget is key. The extent to which your finances will stretch sets the boundaries to your ambitions. The best way to avoid any disappointment is to be realistic. Talking to design and build specialists early on in the thought and planning process can set achievable, manageable goals from the outset.
Land can be less expensive in urban areas, but has far superior basic infrastructure in place – bus and rail links, internet and Wi-Fi, shops. The gulf between town and country has never been so wide, in terms of amenities and services. But country living offers its own appeals too – the healthy rural environment, a lack of noise and air pollution, a safer environment to bring up children and a more relaxed, sedate pace of life to the hustle and bustle of the city. Or perhaps the suburbs are where you’d be happiest, with easy access to the city, but a stone’s throw from the countryside.
Location, location, location
When you are looking at locations, particularly for new build, beware of any Conservation Area restraints on the neighbourhood, as this may restrict your ambitions should you want to build, alter or extend the property. If you’re looking at land to build on, basics like topography and the logistics of access – for builders and suppliers – can be major deciding factors in which site you choose. Lots of trees with preservation orders, for example, can be costly, as can resident wildlife such as bats and newts.
If you already know the local area well, you’ll be fully aware of where is value for money, where is overpriced, up-and-coming, or best avoided. But if you’re new to the area, do your research thoroughly. This is another area where companies such as ours can help clients find the area that is ideal for them. Add up the various factors – location, value-for-money, scope, personal preference – and make a judgement that will stand you in good stead in the future.Back
- 7th November 2019The Self Build Guide Part 1: Finding Land via Online Searches
- 30th October 2019Dreaming of a house in the country?
- 14th October 2019Upside down and inside out home design
- 30th September 2019Small is beautiful too
- 16th September 2019Hitting the deck. Your garden as outdoor living space.
- 2nd September 2019Top of the crops – becoming self-sufficient
- 20th August 2019Home ownership. Living the dream
- 5th August 2019Converted to new-build
- 22nd July 2019Your best laid plans for a new-build
- 24th June 2019How not to break the bank. Top tips on budgeting.