Starting from the ground up
What do you need to consider when choosing the location of your new home?
When you’re choosing the location to build your ideal home, there are a variety of factors to consider. Obviously budget is key. The extent to which your finances will stretch sets the boundaries to your ambitions. The best way to avoid any disappointment is to be realistic. Talking to design and build specialists early on in the thought and planning process can set achievable, manageable goals from the outset.
Land can be less expensive in urban areas, but has far superior basic infrastructure in place – bus and rail links, internet and Wi-Fi, shops. The gulf between town and country has never been so wide, in terms of amenities and services. But country living offers its own appeals too – the healthy rural environment, a lack of noise and air pollution, a safer environment to bring up children and a more relaxed, sedate pace of life to the hustle and bustle of the city. Or perhaps the suburbs are where you’d be happiest, with easy access to the city, but a stone’s throw from the countryside.
Location, location, location
When you are looking at locations, particularly for new build, beware of any Conservation Area restraints on the neighbourhood, as this may restrict your ambitions should you want to build, alter or extend the property. If you’re looking at land to build on, basics like topography and the logistics of access – for builders and suppliers – can be major deciding factors in which site you choose. Lots of trees with preservation orders, for example, can be costly, as can resident wildlife such as bats and newts.
If you already know the local area well, you’ll be fully aware of where is value for money, where is overpriced, up-and-coming, or best avoided. But if you’re new to the area, do your research thoroughly. This is another area where companies such as ours can help clients find the area that is ideal for them. Add up the various factors – location, value-for-money, scope, personal preference – and make a judgement that will stand you in good stead in the future.Back
- 22nd July 2019Your best laid plans for a new-build
- 24th June 2019How not to break the bank. Top tips on budgeting.
- 10th June 2019What makes the perfect plot for self-build?
- 6th June 2019Architecturally, how much have things changed?
- 28th May 2019Luxury lakeside development achieves regional industry award
- 1st May 2019VAT Exemptions for Self-Building vs. Converting
- 18th April 2019Expert Boiler Care Tips for New Homeowners from AllEnglandGas
- 10th April 2019How to Finance a Self-Build Project: Different Methods Available
- 18th March 2019The Interior Design Trends of Spring/Summer 2019
- 26th February 2019Why We Love Tarporley: Places to Eat, Drink & Shop